Author

  • Staff

Share

Church Santa Maria Maddalena

Street and number Piazza Santa Maria Maddalena
City Tuoro sul Trasimeno
Country ITA

After the church of Sant’Agata was destroyed, the role of parish church was turned over to a small chapel in the peasant settlement below, dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene. In 1491 the church was enriched with a baptismal font, which cost the local community a yearly fee of four roosters for the bishop’s table.

Restoration works began in 1803 but must have been insufficient if, as records attest, the heads of the families of Tuoro signed a petition to rebuild the entire church. The bishop approved, and works were entrusted to architect Giovanni Santini and later, after his death in 1868, to Gioacchino Brunori, who diligently followed his predecessor’s plans.

The church, completed in 1888, was furnished with three altars from the Florentine workshop of Cesare Corsi. In 1949 it was Futurist artist Gerardo Dottori’s turn to work on the church’s apse. His painting depicts Mary Magdalene’s conversion, with Christ teaching at the Pharisee’s table, the clear waters of Trasimeno shining behind them.

Map

Nearby...loading