Author

  • Staff

Share

Church of Santa Maria delle Trosce

Street and number Loc. Torre Vernazzano
City Tuoro sul Trasimeno
Country ITA

Nineteenth-century writer Buattini remarked on the existence of a small church, dedicated to the Holy Virgin, in the old town of Vernazzano. The edifice still stands, its walls almost completely unchanged, a few steps north of the tower, outside the castle walls.

The façade is characterised by a round stone arch and central rose window, the latter made up of four separate sections. Certainly this building was constructed after the church of San Michele Arcangelo, of which there is mention as far back as the early fourteenth century. Currently, the building is roofless, and the two remaining frescoes from Santa Maria delle Trosce (literally, Saint Mary of the Water Fountains), depicting a “Mary with Child” and a Nativity, are kept in Palazzo del Capra in the town of Tuoro sul Trasimeno. The inscription under the Nativity pinpoints its commission, funded by a Simon son of Bartolo, to the year 1514. As for the “Mary with Child”, it may date to the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century. The frescoes’ current housing is consequent to a request made by Teodorico Moretti Costanzi who, in accord with Alberto Giovannini, owner of the castle, was granted by the Umbrian Superintendence to Cultural Heritage authorisation to safeguard the works, managing their removal from the church and taking care of their custody.

Map

Nearby...loading