Author

  • Staff

Share

Church Buon Gesù

Street and number Via Guglielmi, Isola Maggiore
City Tuoro sul Trasimeno
Country ITA

The church was founded as an oratory for the Brotherhood of Saint Mary, a lay group active as far back as 1341, with the mission of providing to those in need. The brotherhood had its headquarters in front of the oratory, in the building now housing the “Museo del Merletto” (Lace Museum).

Among its many duties, the group managed of a small hospital for the sick and provided lodging to pilgrims. By the mid-fourteen hundreds the brotherhood had converged into the “Buon Gesù” fellowship, developed a few years earlier in response to the teachings of Franciscan monk Saint Bernardino of Siena, the main figure of the Observant branch of the Franciscan Order.

The oratory itself was probably built in the thirteenth or perhaps the fourteenth century, but façade and interior were modified between the sixteen- and seventeen-hundreds. The sculpted stonework surrounding the altar is late Baroque, the two side solomonic columns clearly inspired by Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s famed St. Peter’s baldachin in Rome. The altar itself is centred around a canvas by Anton Maria Garbi, a local painter active in the Eighteenth Century. The work which depicts the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple.

The date is almost illegible, but has been deciphered as 1736, when the artist was only eighteen years old. On the left wall hangs an Assumption of the Virgin with Saints, painted by Giacomo Giorgetti from Assisi around 1630 or 1640. The niche facing it was meant to house a sculpture, and is currently occupied by a Cross, donated to the local community by Marquise Guglielmi in the mid-twentieth century. Wall and cross-vault ceiling decorations were painted in the dominant style of the late eighteen-hundreds.

Map

Nearby...loading