Author

Share

Isola Maggiore

About one kilometre off the northern bank of Lake Trasimeno, the island is served by ferries departing from Tuoro (Punta Navaccia), Passignano and Castiglione del Lago.

It is the second-largest of the lake’s islands (the others being Polvese and Minore) and the only one to be currently inhabited.
Along the footpaths and in the village, it is easy to imagine the life of its ancestral fishing community which remained, from the Late Medieval to the Early Modern ages, the most important for the lake’s economy.

The island was settled no later than in Etrusco-Roman times and was already densely inhabited when, in 1211, it was visited by Francis of Assisi. At its peak, in the Sixteenth Century, it housed 500-600 inhabitants. The village maintains a fifteenth century atmosphere and plan, having been built by and for fishermen’s families. All the way into the seventeenth century, this was the largest fishing centre of the region. Historically, the local fishing technique required the use of “tori”, huge bundles of oak branches left to float, semi-submerged, in the lake to attract fish in search of cover during the cold winter months.

Map

Nearby...loading